Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Some pictures...and a check-in

Working hard to help out a wee one with her "masterpiece" down at Louis Mulcahy's studio
The new fashion trend in Clogher, Co. Kerry: pottery soiled navy blue overalls. So hot.
I didn't realize they had a marble statue in Cork made in my honor?!
The next cover of Irish American magazine ( a breathtaking spot we saw during our scary, yet beautiful drive through Conor's Pass)

So...it's been sometime. I should have posted some blogs over the weekend during my trek to Tralee, Killarney and Cork, but couldn't find it in me to leave the sun for a stuffy indoor internet cafe!


I currently find myself a bit overwhelmed, as the Galway Races are on this week, bringing thousands of more tourists into the city. What a change from quaint little Ballyferriter. I feel like there is so much to write of my past months experience down at the studio, but feel it difficult to sum up in a simple paragraph. That's what my journal is for, I guess. All of life's questions are still waiting to be answered (sorry Mom, no real epiphanies quite yet). My mission by Tuesday of next week: secure some work, whether it be at the pub or elsewhere, and get a place of my own. My friend Sandy (who, like my last housemate, hails from England) has opened her place in Rathoon, a 30 min walk west of the city, to me which has been incredibly kind of her.


Oh, before I forget, I have to write of my first "true" Irish cinematic experience. Last Tuesday, Giselle and I drove into Dingle City to do the usual grocery shopping and email checking...and stumbled upon an old cinema. We saw that Tuesday night at half eight (aka 8 thirty) the film club meets. So we buy our tickets to Black Snake Moan and head in. If any of you reading this have actually seen this incredibly awful movie...you're probably thinking..."why in the hell would a film club in Ireland waste their time on a Hollywood movie that basically consists of a scantily clad Chritina Ricci and a let down performance from Samual L Jackson?" I know. Despite the movie itself having no real entertainment value, it was the cinema itself that had the charm...ripped, yet very comfy blue seats, a huge golden velour curtain hiding the small screen, the free tea and (exceptionally strong...aka bad) coffee, and of course, who could forget the verbal preview of next weeks movie. Yup. With a homemade spotlight consisting of a light bulb in a metal can attached to an old coat rack shining down on his papers, the owner of the place reads aloud the plot of the movie. He then holds up the glossy poster for the film reading snippets of reviews by Rolling Stone, New York Post etc.


What a riot. And of course...only in Ireland.


1 comment:

Tristan said...

Thanks for the description of the cinema experience. It's the little stuff like that that I miss the most.

Even if it was a bad "fil-um".