Wednesday, August 8, 2007

employment in galway?

Is it possible? Based on my last weeks experience, it's not looking too hot. Every restaurant and pub in the city are first and foremost looking for a work visa. That's something that without dual citizenship is a bit tough to come by...anyway...I went into Salthill today to meet Owen (part-time solicitor in Dublin and Salthill, part-time owner of The Bal Pub), who has connection's with one of mom's good teaching friends from Boston. I was told to "call in at 11" (which, by the way does not mean to actually call, but rather stop by...the Irish never call someone, they phone...). So there I was at 10:45, a bit nervous, actually...only to be greeted by a nice receptionist who tells me that Owen won't be in until after lunch. So I frolic around Salthill for 3 hours, trying not to get too sunburned or sweaty before the "interview." I walk back to his office to have...get this...a less than 2 minute meeting where he basically told me to walk down to the pub and talk to the new manager. Don't get me wrong, he was very warm and welcoming for the entire 120 second encounter. Ok...so off to the pub I go. But of course, by the time I get there, the manager is out...not returning until 7 (Irish time=8/8:30). I left my name and number with a (far from charming) Polish bartender...but will take it into my hands to check back in tomorrow. Until then...

The idea of volunteering at a school come September is a possibility, as that could possibly lead to a paid position. I'm hoping to hear back from a production potter in Galway as well. Oh the possibilities for little ol' me.

No comments: