Thursday, August 23, 2007

Back from the Arans...

It's so true when people say things move a bit slower on the islands. It's been over 6 years since my last visit out to the Arans, well...Inis Mor, and luckily (unlike most of Ireland) still remains untouched. Okay, there are a couple new pubs...bringing the total number to 6, but overall, its simplistic ways carry on. One grocery shop, a few restaurants, bicycle rentals, and of course, Aran sweater shops. My good friend (and partner in crime) Sandy and I caught the ferry from Rossaveal Tuesday, hired some bikes and cycled until we could no longer feel our legs. What an experience...and with the sun shining (finally!) it was just a picture perfect day. Wednesday we decided to give the cycles (and our asses) a break and go on a small tour bus. Had a great guide, Rory, who's sense of humor earned him a well deserved tip at the end of the day. We were dropped at the bottom of Dun Aonghasa, a 2,000 year old Celtic dry-stone fort. Little did I know that once I reached the top of the semi-circled fort, my view would be atop a 300 foot cliff. Gotta say...my first real experience with vertigo, but worth every minute of it. Pictures to come...

So now I'm "off-island" and trying to put together a plan for my last month here. It's absolutely insane how quickly 2 months have passed. I think a visit back down to Kerry is a must...plus, there is a family friend down in Kenmare who is willing to show me around, which is always helpful!


No comments: